M. A. Carolin Baumgarten
Institut für Erziehungswissenschaft
D - 44801 Bochum
- Educational Psychology
- Learning with multiple documents
- Evaluation of online information and documents
Who do you trust? The development of teaching concepts to promote students’ critical evaluation of online information.
#Digital literacy within the QLB 2019 Project DiAL:OGe, funded by the BMBF
Funding period: 01.03.2020 – 31.12.2023
The main goal of the project is to develop, implement and evaluate modules for teacher training in the field of physics at Ruhr-University Bochum. Our teaching concepts enable teacher students to integrate digital content into their classroom and promote the critical evaluation of online sources among their students.
As shown in the literature, these skills are critical for learning from online sources (Bråten, Stadtler, & Salmerón, 2017). Yet, they are hardly being taught both at school and at the university level. Hence, numerous studies show that students of nearly all age groups have difficulties in evaluating information coming from different online sources (Pérez et al., 2018).
We address this problem by encouraging teacher students to first develop their own source evaluation competencies and then learn how to promote these competencies in secondary students. To this end, student teachers develop their own evidence-based teaching concepts and implement them as workshops at the Alfried Krupp-Schülerlabor.
Bråten, I., Stadtler, M., & Salmerón, L. (2017). The role of sourcing in discourse comprehension. In M. Schober, D. N. Rapp & M. A. Britt (Eds.), Handbook of Discourse Processes (pp. 141-168). New York, NY: Taylor & Francis.
Pérez, A., Potocki, A., Stadtler, M., Macedo-Rouet, M., Paul, J., Salmerón, L., Rouet, J.-F. (2018). Fostering Teenagers’ Assessment of Information Reliability: Effects of a Classroom Intervention focused on Critical Source Dimensions. Learning and Instruction, 58, 53-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.learninstruc.2018.04.006
For more information about this project, see http://www.pse.rub.de/dialoge/
- 09/2012-09/2013: Undergraduate studies in Psychology at the Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen, Nijmegen, Netherlands
- 09/2013-08/2016: Undergraduate studies in Psychology at the Hochschule Fresenius, Düsseldorf, Germany, degree: Bachelor of Science
- 04/2017-03/2020: Graduate studies in Educational Science at the Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Bochum, Germany, degree: Master of Arts
- Since 03/2020: Doctoral researcher at the Institute of Educational Science of the Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Bochum, Germany
nach Vereinbarung / upon request